stevekerr

The Blog with No Name.

My Blog is so cool it doesn't need a name or even an adequate description.

Pandemic Review

While I see many reviews that applaud the Infected series, marking it down as a truly outstanding accomplishment in the Sci-Fi/Horror genre. I have had a more strained relationship with Podcast favorite Scott Siglers series centred around a versatile alien virus threatening Humanities existence.

Following the destruction of Detroit the aliens have come back and they mean business. The discovery of a new mutation of the virus prompts the powers that be to lure Margaret Montoya back into the fold. I really appreciated what Sigler did with her character, despite saving the World, Margaret is in an endless whirlpool of depression and self-loathing. Using her time to check social media and various forums to see what the interwebz is saying about her.

A chilling start is followed by 200 pages of a slower approach. In spite of a lack of pace, the science, like all of Scott Sigler’s work is very well researched and simplified enough so it’s easy enough to understand without dumbing it down too much. It shows a respect for the reader and fans of his novels. The next 200 odd pages we swing it into full throttle, the pace of the novel is elevated to a break neck speed without the structure or plot suffering.

There were a few things that I didn’t like about the novel though. I didn’t really feel like there was a truly likeable character in the entire story, at least not from the central characters involved. There were a few side characters that were likeable, but I didn’t connect with any of the core characters all that much. They either lacked personality or were so over the top that they began to grate on me.

Another thing was the ending, I expected a little more from what I assume is the conclusion to the series. It felt rushed and a typical horror book ending. I know when I have read a really good ending. I would take a minute to reflect on the completed story. Either with a grief stricken look on my face of loved characters that suffered an untimely ending or a satisfied smile pondering what the next chapter of their lives behold when the book closes. Instead, I merely put the book down and didn’t give it another thought until I came to write this review.

Overall: Pandemic was a solid conclusion to a serviceable trilogy. After reading the second in the series, sticking my head in the microwave seemed a more endearing proposition than reading the third one, so I think it’s fair to say it exceeded my expectations, despite its faults. I admire the honesty and ambition that Sigler writes with, a fact that will always have me coming back. I know what to expect when I pick up one of his books, rarely am I disappointed.